Flirc Forums

Programming a key combination, but other combination saved

theweasel68

Hi,

this is my first attempt to program my brand new FLIRC.

My plan is to set up a HTPC with the easiest possible remote control. I need this for an elder person.

I have updated the FLIRC to Firmware v3.0

Running on Win 8.1./64

I bought a SEKI Medium IR-control http://www.amazon.co.uk/Medium-Universal-Remote-Learning-Capability-black/dp/B0059G9WHM

I am using the full keyboard for programming purposes:

I select CONTROL and + KEY in order to program the "+" button on the IR.

Result: when I test it, the CONTROL and @ KEY is blinking at the FLIRC keyboard screen

For other combinations, it says "Recorded successfully" but nothing happens.

The key combinations I will need for Jriver Media Center: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Keyboard_Hot-keys

Any idea, what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Bump!

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

I am trying to program CTL P

--> I am selecting both keys in the Full Keyboard

--> pressing the button on the remote - Flirc software says "Recorded successfully"

--> when I again push the button on the remote, nothing happens. After clicking several times at the button of the remote, i can see the P blinking for one time in the FLIRC keyboard.

--> when I click on erase in the FLIRC software, then the button on the remote, Flirc says "Button already erased"

So obviously the configuration was not saved at all, or automatically deleted again after saving?

• 2 weeks later...

After learning I always restart Flirc to identify problems.

According to JRiver, CTRL + = is the same as CTRL + + (num pad). Have you ried it?

Hi Pete,

in the full keyboard of FLIRC, there is no num pad. How could I try the alternative with FLIRC? Or did I miss a function in FLIRC to switch (show) a num pad in the full keyboard-layout as well?

• 2 months later...

Hi there, I*m exactly having the same problem:

I can't use Ctrl + + (Num Pad) as indicated here http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Keyboard_Hot-keys for Volume down as there is no num pad in the GUI software.

Using Ctrl + = as an alternative programs the FLIRC to return Ctrl + alt + @

Using Ctrl + - (Volume down) will program the FLIRC to return nothing.

I tried it serveral times. Also restarting the GUI software, clearing the buttons or Clear Configurations.

Thanks in advance. Your help will be much appreciated.

Raphnix what keyboard layout are you using? The mapping in GUI is based on US QWERTY keyboard layout. If you have different layout set in the system then you'll get different keys back when pressing remote buttons.

This happens because Flirc acts as a HID keyboard device. HID standard doesn't map a HID code directly to a specific character on the key but to a key in specific location on the keyboard.

Please look here 

I've described there the solution based on a french keyboard layout so you'll need to update it for your layout if you use something different.

Basically you need to look at your physical keyboard where is the "=" key and use the same key location in the GUI (keyboard row and the position of the key in the row).

The most important thing is that Flirc programming is not affected by the selected keyboard layout. It is it's operation afterwards. It's because all Flirc knows is what HID key code send to the PC but it doesn't know how this code is mapped in the system.

• 6 months later...

I'm having exactly the same issue as below (except with Ctrl-L) ... Is there some trick to make this work?

Bump!

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

I am trying to program CTL P

--> I am selecting both keys in the Full Keyboard

--> pressing the button on the remote - Flirc software says "Recorded successfully"

--> when I again push the button on the remote, nothing happens. After clicking several times at the button of the remote, i can see the P blinking for one time in the FLIRC keyboard.

--> when I click on erase in the FLIRC software, then the button on the remote, Flirc says "Button already erased"

So obviously the configuration was not saved at all, or automatically deleted again after saving?