Flirc Forums

Shell-commands on Rasbian

svenove

I'm considering buying a Flirc, to use on my RPi along with my Tellstick to control my lights. Controlling the light is done my sending commands like "telldusd 1 on", etc.

Can I program Flirc so that a key on my remote issues that command on the RPi?

Or, will it just cause problems that I'm not really logged in to the RPi?

Flirc can only send keys and key combinations to the PC. You need some software that will watch keyboard input and allows you to run your script when specific key combination is detected.

Does that mean that if I set my RPi to automatically login, so that it's ready to recieve terminal-commands, I can get FLIRC to write and execute "telldusd 1 on" when recieving a special IR-signal?

Does that mean that if I set my RPi to automatically login, so that it's ready to recieve terminal-commands, I can get FLIRC to write and execute "telldusd 1 on" when recieving a special IR-signal?

Not directly. Flirc can only send key combinations, not key sequences. A key combination is a key with optional modifiers (like shift, alt and ctrl). After that you still need some software that could intercept pressed key combination and execute specific command. It would probably need to run as a daemon to be able to execute commands without the need for logging into the console.