Flirc Forums

How complex is the PCB?

Tiller

Hello,

I'm not a FLIRC user yet, but it's coming, I should receive by the end of this week, but I already have a question:

How complex is the PCB? I mean is there any sort of multi-layered PCB or is it a standard PCB?

I'm asking because I'd like to desolder the IR LED in order to solder cable on the PCB and then to have the IR LED off the board.

This way, I could have the stick inside my PC case, and mod my case to have only the LED that comes out.

Do you think this will be possible? I mean, feasible with just a standard soldering iron I have.

Thanks.

I wouldn't place the receiver on a cable. This is asking for trouble. Maybe just use USB extension cable, plug the Flirc into one end and plug the cable into the USB port. You can always look for adapter to connect other end of the cable directly to the USB pin header on the motherboard.

Hmm, I don't see what problem there might be by putting the receiver on a cable (except, of course, if I fail the soldering).

And the thing is that the stick itself is not really beautiful and not so tiny. By doing so, I could only have the led sticking out from the case.

And yes, I was planning to plug the stick directly on an USB2.0 internal port, it's not hard to make the adapter.

You can remove Flirc's case itself making the stick smaller. Rather than the receiver sticking out from the case I would rather make a rectangular hole in your modded case and mask it with a plastic window like those in remotes or receivers in RTV hardware and just hide Flirc (with or without its case) behind it.

You can save some space by desoldering the USB plug and solder wires directly to the PCB. From electrical point of view I think USB is a better choice as this would be no different than just using extension cable and it's data signaling is protected from electromagnetic noise because it uses differential pair signaling. On the other hand IR receiver doesn't have any means to cancel out the noise when you connect it with a wire. Please look around on the forum and you will see that people here often have a problem with Flirc getting background noise from different sources and by adding extra wire between IR receiver and PCB you would probably add another possible source of noise.

Edited by yawor