Flirc Forums

HP MCE Media Center Remote Control 589762-ZH1

Wyrenth

Hi folks! I was hoping to get this remote working with Flirc, but it's exhibiting some unresponsive behavior. The seller sent me a second unit as well, as I figured the first was defective, but the second does the same thing. So I figured I'd better come over here and try to troubleshoot if I could.

I am trying to use the following: HP MCE Media Center Remote Control 589762-ZH1 (which was bought here: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HXIN6IU )

The problem I am experiencing is that the buttons don't always trigger. I'm testing this on my desktop PC. Sometimes it'll work, sometimes it won't. I have tried every combination of Advanced Settings with no luck. Low amounts of Inter-Key Delay sometimes result in phantom presses (I'll get 2 or 3 of a letter), but that's only when it triggers. i.e. it'll sometimes be nothing, sometimes be 2 or 3 key-presses.

Using the remote control from our DVD player, I do not get this issue, so the Flirc isn't faulty.  Since more than one HP remote is exhibiting this behavior, I'm inclined to think that it's not a particular fault of the remote either. Perhaps the way they are communicating?

I'm really hoping to get this remote working, as it has all the keys I want organized how I want, and I can't afford to keep throwing money at the problem by trying other remotes.

MCE remotes are using protocol which cycle through different codes on each key press. So every button can have multiple codes (I think usually there are 2 codes per button alternated on each press). You can record each button 2 times (or more if you have buttons which emit more than 2 codes) and assign all codes from each button to the same key in Flirc.

I would still suggest a different remote unless you don't need many keys. You need to remember that Flirc doesn't have unlimited storage and can only remember about 169 different remote codes. There is a lot of nice universal remotes out there that can be a lot better than most MCE remotes and you can use multiple device profiles on those so you can have multiple mappings in Flirc (for example PVR buttons mapped to one set of keys and then DVD buttons to different). I'm using OneForAll Simple4 (URC-6440) which has very nice big rubber buttons with backlight and good layout. I'm using Samsung TV profile and it works very well with Flirc.

I'm using this on a Raspberry Pi with XBMC (OpenELEC) installed, and it will serve no other purpose except for this, so 169 remote codes is more than ample storage. The Simple4 looks like a decent remote, though, even if it is missing a few keys I want bound. If the MCE remotes I have decide to conk out, maybe I'll look into that. For now, though, everything is running more or less as I want it to, so all is good. :)