Flirc Forums

Keys stuck

I've had my firc for over a year now, its plugged into a raspberry pi, running xbmc and I'm controlling it with a harmony one. I initially had the stuck keys problem but only if certain lights in my house were on...I turn off the light and bam perfect operation, worked with someone one here. Tried a new firmware and the problem lessened greatly only act up ever couple of months...today for example it does it constantly its always the pause key for me. Super annoying, I'm using the xbmc controls on my phone in guessing it'll be gone tomorrow. Seems worse when my home is set to heat never had problems in the summer... I'm guessing there's so.e kind of infared interference. I haven't upgraded my firmware in a while. If you need anything from me let me know, everything in my house is Linux in some way/shape.

go figure.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sticking key problem started with me when the firmware updated to 3.1 a few days ago..  I have two, one at 2.3 and the other at 3.1.  The one that is at 3.1 just updated a few days ago when I downloaded the latest FLIRC software, 1.2.9 from 1.2.7.  I set the interkey delay to 6 and it makes no difference. 

Sticking key problem started with me when the firmware updated to 3.1 a few days ago..  I have two, one at 2.3 and the other at 3.1.  The one that is at 3.1 just updated a few days ago when I downloaded the latest FLIRC software, 1.2.9 from 1.2.7.  I set the interkey delay to 6 and it makes no difference. 

My FLIEC with the 2.3 firmware is doing it now too.  It started after a reboot of the machine

Interkey delay should be at 3. 

I tried 3 with no change in behavior, I changed it to 6 and no change.  I reseated the FLIRC and the remote went completely dead.  I brought up the learning software and tried pressing keys, nothing on the on screen keyboard lit up.  I tried programming a key and it came back with Key already exists.  I tried erasing the configuration and reloading it, the remote still acted dead.  I tried a different remote, no change, both are Hauppauge 45 RC6 remotes.  I then pulled it out and watched a show :) using an old remote and usb reciever I had.  I plugged it back in and the remote was working again like it was before, keys  getting stuck.  I went back and read almost the entire thread here and found the entry about sequnce modifiers, I unchecked it and left the Interkey delay at 6 and everything seems to be working normally.  I went back and checked the Interkey delay and set it back to 3 and noted that the sequence modifer was checked again, I unchecked it and looked again.  Sequence modifiers was checked again.  I left it alone and tested the remote, everything appears to be working properly.

Hope this helps in isolating the issue.  If there is anything else I can do, please let me know.  I will keep you aprised of any changes in the behaviour.

I tried 3 with no change in behavior, I changed it to 6 and no change.  I reseated the FLIRC and the remote went completely dead.  I brought up the learning software and tried pressing keys, nothing on the on screen keyboard lit up.  I tried programming a key and it came back with Key already exists.  I tried erasing the configuration and reloading it, the remote still acted dead.  I tried a different remote, no change, both are Hauppauge 45 RC6 remotes.  I then pulled it out and watched a show :) using an old remote and usb reciever I had.  I plugged it back in and the remote was working again like it was before, keys  getting stuck.  I went back and read almost the entire thread here and found the entry about sequnce modifiers, I unchecked it and left the Interkey delay at 6 and everything seems to be working normally.  I went back and checked the Interkey delay and set it back to 3 and noted that the sequence modifer was checked again, I unchecked it and looked again.  Sequence modifiers was checked again.  I left it alone and tested the remote, everything appears to be working properly.

Hope this helps in isolating the issue.  If there is anything else I can do, please let me know.  I will keep you aprised of any changes in the behaviour.

ah, interesting, and you're on 3.1?

ah, interesting, and you're on 3.1?

The one that is working now is 2.3.  I do have another one that is on 3.1, had not tried it again so I just swapped them.  Changed Interkey delay from 6 to 3 and unchecked sequence modifiers, it stayed unchecked but the remote appears to be dead so I did a quick swap back, remote working normally.  I erased the config on 3.1 and reloaded it, remote still would not work.  I tried erasing one button multiple times, software said button erased but when I tried to reprogram it, software said, button already exists. 

It would appear that the FLIRC on 3.1 is dead :( , anything I can do to confirm that?  I don't use them both at the same time yet so it's not a real big deal but I did only just get them about 6 weeks ago or there abouts 

I'm sure we can resurrect it. Traveling back home. I'll see what I can do when I return.

Sounds good, and BTW, I am not "UTTERLY DISAPPOINTED"  I love the functionality and the fact it made two completely useless remotes work because I don't have Hauppague tuner cards in the client machines.  Thanks for a wonderful product

Hi, I registered here to join the club. The problem didn't appear out of the blue on my chromebox running Openelec. It had been there from time to time since I bought my flirc a few months ago, but it always disappeared again. Then, a few weeks ago, suddenly the sticking keys were there almost constantly, and the problem just wouldn't go away. I hadn't upgraded the firmware or anything. I had made no changes that could provoke it, I think. I've read all the threads on this, and I have spent hours trying to find a logic befind the problem and fix it. So, now my flirc goes back into the drawer, it's useless, sadly. I'm quite disappointed with this, I must say. Like the others here, I really wanted it to work.

Jason,

The FLIRC that was on 2.3 started acting wierd then said "Boot Loader detected, can not update firmware, contact support" (wording may not be exact)  I took it over to another machine and now the firmware is v3.0.  I grabbed the 3.1 FLIRC and erased and reprogrammed it using an old Firefly Mini that I have and it's working again.

Dude, gremlins! I want to help you solve the problem because I really like the concept and they worked for me for six weeks flawlessly.  If you want we can take this PM.

Chris

Jason,

The FLIRC that was on 2.3 started acting wierd then said "Boot Loader detected, can not update firmware, contact support" (wording may not be exact)  I took it over to another machine and now the firmware is v3.0.  I grabbed the 3.1 FLIRC and erased and reprogrammed it using an old Firefly Mini that I have and it's working again.

Dude, gremlins! I want to help you solve the problem because I really like the concept and they worked for me for six weeks flawlessly.  If you want we can take this PM.

Chris

So yours is working?

Hi, I registered here to join the club. The problem didn't appear out of the blue on my chromebox running Openelec. It had been there from time to time since I bought my flirc a few months ago, but it always disappeared again. Then, a few weeks ago, suddenly the sticking keys were there almost constantly, and the problem just wouldn't go away. I hadn't upgraded the firmware or anything. I had made no changes that could provoke it, I think. I've read all the threads on this, and I have spent hours trying to find a logic befind the problem and fix it. So, now my flirc goes back into the drawer, it's useless, sadly. I'm quite disappointed with this, I must say. Like the others here, I really wanted it to work.

Are you seeing a few rapid key presses, or does the key feel like it's being stuck held down?

Okay, I think I figured it out:

Please grab the latest beta firmware, and give this a shot:

It actually has a much more natural feel and seems to detect presses from holds much better now.

I would also encourage you to format your configurations and relearn your keys. The reason is because the default settings after you format will likely cause people a lot less headache. They are much more generic, you probably don't need sleep detection, sequence modifiers, and anything other than an interkey delay of 3.

Let me know.

Okay, I think I figured it out:

Please grab the latest beta firmware, and give this a shot:

It actually has a much more natural feel and seems to detect presses from holds much better now.

I would also encourage you to format your configurations and relearn your keys. The reason is because the default settings after you format will likely cause people a lot less headache. They are much more generic, you probably don't need sleep detection, sequence modifiers, and anything other than an interkey delay of 3.

Let me know.

Yup the "dead" one started working again.  Yes, it's like an rapid fire, usually multiples of two,  I say that because the pause button is almost completely useless.  You have to flick the flirc :P multiple times to get it to unpause.  Just finished erasing and reprogramming the config on the flirc that came back to life.  Will let you know what happens.

It works here, Jason, keys are no longer stuck in endless repeats. Once in a while it ignores/skips a keypress, but maybe that has to do with the interkey delay. I will play around with that setting later. I was asked to install the firmware multiple times too, and also got a message saying something about (i quote from memory) unrecognized firmware. Still, it works, thanks!

It works here, Jason, keys are no longer stuck in endless repeats. Once in a while it ignores/skips a keypress, but maybe that has to do with the interkey delay. I will play around with that setting later. I was asked to install the firmware multiple times too, and also got a message saying something about (i quote from memory) unrecognized firmware. Still, it works, thanks!

Yeah, most likely going to be fixed with changing the interkey delay. But I believe this is only if you are rapid firing keys, is that right?

Hey guys,

finally got time to test RC2 myself.

My findings, all on Windows:

1.) Installed Gui 1.3, started Gui, plugged in Flirc, gets recognised as FW 3.1, Guis asks to upgrade to 3.3, Gui upgrades, recognises Flirc as FW 3.3, down in the middel of the GUI it says "Unsupported firmware, try upgrading".

Tried closing Gui, unpluggins Flirc and redo the process multiple times. Asks me for the eighth time now after reopeneing the Gui to upgrade firmware.

Flirc_Util says on status: Last upgrade attempt: Error

Ignoring the upgrade message and just clear config and go ahead learning some keys works flawless for me. Some more testing needed though.

2.) Forcing FW upgrade through the menus says

"Your firmware version is: 3,3

The latest firmware version is: 3.2"

Sound like a typo.

After doing the force upgrade, flirc_util still says error on last upgrade attempt. GUI says "Firmware successfully upgraded".

3.) While trying to use the 334kb sized flirc_util.exe from the extracted zip (release/windows), it cries about missing libusb-1.0.dll. Using flirc_util.exe (505kb) that gets installed by the installer works fine. Still, typing flirc_util without its .exe extension in a command prompt just does not work, you HAVE to write "flirc_util.exe". Not an expetected behavior.

So yeah, learning keys obviously works, but some messages are very confusing. That's all for now. Cheers guys and thanks to Jason for fighting bugs for us. :-D

Expect the GUI weirdness that Jason already confirmed to be a bug (will be fixed on release), IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM!!!!

Reprogrammed Flirc with two different remotes and tested it pretty hard with different USB ports, fast keypressing, holding keys, Windows and Linux and whatnot. Rock stable so far! Good job Jason! I liked with stuck keys, but like it even more now. :-D

Cheers!