Flirc Forums

Using Flirc with Amazon fireTV

tonyski

Hi, laope.

I haven't tried this, but I have thought about it. I have a Logitech K400R wireless keyboard with the receiver attache to my Fire along with the Flirc through a simple four port USB hub. I once, rather absent mindedly, did an Ctrl+Alt+Del on the keyboard. Only after the Fire re-booted did I realize what I had done.

FWIW - I found this: 

Increasing the Interkey Delay to 5 or 6 actually made the problem worse and now other keys like Up etc. are sending the command twice!

Any other way to solve this?

it's definitely a setting in the harmony, give me some time so I can look into it and try and reproduce it.

Jason, this is similar to what I've seen since your new firmware update that reduced repeat keys I don't have keys repeat even when holding the buttons on my device (I did have occasional doubles before).  I'm that edge case using a roku profile on my harmony if you want to test that, or want me to do some tests.  For me interkey delay of 0 3 or 6 doesn't ever get me double presses or repeat keys (even when I want it by holding the button) though anymore.

Jason, this is similar to what I've seen since your new firmware update that reduced repeat keys I don't have keys repeat even when holding the buttons on my device (I did have occasional doubles before).  I'm that edge case using a roku profile on my harmony if you want to test that, or want me to do some tests.  For me interkey delay of 0 3 or 6 doesn't ever get me double presses or repeat keys (even when I want it by holding the button) though anymore.

I'll try this shortly.

Increasing the Interkey Delay to 5 or 6 actually made the problem worse and now other keys like Up etc. are sending the command twice!

Any other way to solve this?

couldn't reproduce it, mine is working fine. It's gotta be a setting. How are you doing back? There is no xbmc back button?

couldn't reproduce it, mine is working fine. It's gotta be a setting. How are you doing back? There is no xbmc back button?

Back is set to the "Prev" button on the Harmony Remote and that in turn is invoking the "ParentFolder" command.

This does give me the Back functionality throughout the FireTV but it sends the command twice more then 50% of the time.

Is ParentFolder the correct command to send?

I will wipe the Flirc configuration fully again and re-set it up and let you know with Interkey Delay of 6 as the last time I only changed the Interkey setting without a clean wipe.

Back is set to the "Prev" button on the Harmony Remote and that in turn is invoking the "ParentFolder" command.

This does give me the Back functionality throughout the FireTV but it sends the command twice more then 50% of the time.

Is ParentFolder the correct command to send?

I will wipe the Flirc configuration fully again and re-set it up and let you know with Interkey Delay of 6 as the last time I only changed the Interkey setting without a clean wipe.

This isn't the case. I would re-record buttons using my amazon firetv controller view. The buttons for XBMC Don't match at all.

I'm working on getting a harmony firetv-flirc profile.

With Harmony remotes, I'm 99.6364% sure you want a low value inter-key delay to keep the IR command from repeating.  Try setting it to the lowest or second to lowest number.

-Randy

With Harmony remotes, I'm 99.6364% sure you want a low value inter-key delay to keep the IR command from repeating.  Try setting it to the lowest or second to lowest number.

-Randy

In the Harmony Remote Configuration I have Interkey Delay set to 0 so I cant go any lower then that and I still have the problem.

Or do you mean set the Interkey Delay in the Flirc settings to 0?

This isn't the case. I would re-record buttons using my amazon firetv controller view. The buttons for XBMC Don't match at all.

I'm working on getting a harmony firetv-flirc profile.

I am using the FireTV Controller View setting in the Flirc Config software.

I am not sure what you mean by the XBMC buttons don't match?

If the ParentFolder command is not the right one to send from the Harmony then can you please tell me what is?

I am using the FireTV Controller View setting in the Flirc Config software.

I am not sure what you mean by the XBMC buttons don't match?

If the ParentFolder command is not the right one to send from the Harmony then can you please tell me what is?

I don't know what is going on anymore. You mentioned you are using the flirc xbmc profile in harmony. But then you mentioned you are recorded the keys with the Firetv controller. So I don't know what's actually getting sent to flirc anymore.

I don't know what is going on anymore. You mentioned you are using the flirc xbmc profile in harmony. But then you mentioned you are recorded the keys with the Firetv controller. So I don't know what's actually getting sent to flirc anymore.

Oh, I thought it was clear but I guess not so I will try to explain:

- In the Harmony Software I setup a device with the following profile: Media Center > Flirc > XBMC

- I then open the Flirc Software and use the FireTV controller view in the Software  and record all the keys from the Harmony remote to the Flirc.

Does that make it clear?

Edited by reni10

In the Harmony Remote Configuration I have Interkey Delay set to 0 so I cant go any lower then that and I still have the problem.

Or do you mean set the Interkey Delay in the Flirc settings to 0?

The Harmony remote configuration is what I was referring to.  I have never played with (or had to play with) any such settings on the Flirc.  I'm giving this advice from memory, so you should probably ignore me (especially since it sounds like you've tried 0 and still have the problem).

-Randy

OK, now that I'm home and can look at my Harmony remote settings, I find it is not the inter-key delay that I tweaked to make it so I did not get doubled up button presses (sorry about my bad advice above).  Using the MyHarmony software, I chose the device I use to control the FireTV, selected Change Device Settings, selected the Device Command Repeats menu item...

post-16017-0-68776300-1421282184_thumb.p

...and set Device Command Repeats to 0...

post-16017-0-89570400-1421282177_thumb.p

I hope this helps you too.

-Randy

Edited by randyth

I'm using Sony VL series remotes. The problem with the repeated sendings of the "back" command is weird. I can actually hear a click when it's sent the second, third, etc. times. The first press of the button usually gets somewhat better results as it doesn't always send the Fire all the way back home or produce a series of clicks. But the second time it always does. I haven't determined how long I have to wait, but if I press the return button once, thereafter the second press produces multiple clicks and sends me back home no matter where I am or what I'm doing. But if I wait for a long time the effect goes away.

It's a weird problem and a challenge to describe. I wish I could show it to you.

Edited by Herman Trivilino

I'm using Sony VL series remotes. The problem with the repeated sendings of the "back" command is weird. I can actually hear a click when it's sent the second, third, etc. times. The first press of the button usually gets somewhat better results as it doesn't always send the Fire all the way back home or produce a series of clicks. But the second time it always does. I haven't determined how long I have to wait, but if I press the return button once, thereafter the second press produces multiple clicks and sends me back home no matter where I am or what I'm doing. But if I wait for a long time the effect goes away.

It's a weird problem and a challenge to describe. I wish I could show it to you.

Two things, when you upgrade to 3.5, did you guys re-record the back key? If you recorded before 3.5, it's not going to work, which maybe  what you are seeing.

Also, maybe you can grab your phone and upload a video to youtube. That has helped greatly in the past.

Two things, when you upgrade to 3.5, did you guys re-record the back key? If you recorded before 3.5, it's not going to work, which maybe  what you are seeing.

Also, maybe you can grab your phone and upload a video to youtube. That has helped greatly in the past.

I have cleared the whole configuration for the Flirc each time I have tried before setting the whole thing up again and I have also now tried with the Interkey setting in the Flirc Software at every setting from 0-6 and none fix the problem!

I can upload a video but it is not really going to tell you much more then what I have described: When I press the Prev button on my Harmony remote in something like XBMC which is set to the Back button on the FireTV config in Flirc it sends the command twice most of the time so instead of backing up one screen it backs up 2 screens!

Showing you this on a video will just be exactly as I described in words.

The next thing I will try is to map the Back button to a different key on the Harmony remote (Maybe the Menu button) and see what results come in for that, this does though point to an issue with the Flirc as I have had this Remote for years and it currently controls 8 devices and not once before have I had an issue with it sending a command twice to any device besides the Flirc...

I'm creating a Flirc-firetv profile tuned for Amazon TV. Please wait for this, I apologize for the inconvenience but this should solve all the trouble you are seeing on harmony.

I just asking others to politely wait and not post any harmony problems until this is released.

I will make a new thread for other remotes and a new one for harmony.

I see what's wrong with the roku remote, and honestly, what a stupid protocol it uses. I'll get to this later.

I mentioned using the Roku profile on my Harmony, and it definitely acts a little odd as I've mentioned, but so far I think I'm an edge case user so if addressing Roku remote profiles doesn't solve other problems, or at least make your code more robust, I hope it's low on the priority list =)  

Actually it's quite impressive to have a product where a one man show is able to interact with single user requests as much as you've done already.  So here's a small keep up the good work to let you know it's not going unnoticed.

• Like 1

Hello

I am about to give up trying to get my ortek remote to work with harmony and fire tv.

If I buy a flirc will I be able to use both context menu and info button etc on my harmony 525? Is it easy to set up?

Thank a bunch!

Yes, I keep asking people to be a little patient. A flirc, firetv will be added to harmony in the next day or so. But even if you didn't have a harmony, it will work with any remote.