Flirc Forums

Using Flirc with Amazon fireTV

tonyski

works like a charm!

Anyway, the back-button does not work properly, so I'd really like to know, how Ned Scott managed to configure "browser back".

I have not been able to configure this with the Flirc yet. I can only confirm that "browser_back" is the correct key. I've been trying to get the Flirc command line utility under Ubuntu to work, but it doesn't seem to be working. That is, I can't seem to get the command line utility to work with any key, not just "browser_back". As far as I can see, the command line utility is required for learning browser_back.

I will try this again under Windows. I just haven't had the chance yet, as things have been a little busy lately. If it works, I will report back here.

So it seems like there are a few issues with the firetv. I don't have any problems with mine. Although I'm using plex. Let's work together.

Plug a keyboard in your firetv, and let's see if we can figure out what the keyboard keys are for the desired functions. I'll get the GUI updated as soon as possible once we've identified the correct keyboard keys. I'm booked until saturday, then I'm back on flirc.

Unfortunately, with current Flirc possibilities, you can't access keys from HID Customer usage table with codes above 0xFF. Each recorded button takes 6 bytes: 4 bytes for IR code hash and 2 bytes for the HID code. To use codes from Customer usage tables the second byte must have value of 102 (decimal) so you only have a single byte for key code. To address 0x224 you would need 2 bits extra.

I think there are 2 possible ways (both require changes to firmware and software):

1. Extend structure from 6 to 7 bytes to allow bigger code space - this unfortunately would mean that the capacity would drop (from current 169 to about 144 from a quick calculation) but I think it would be a waste of space because there are not so many usage cases for those codes (so in most cases the additional byte would always be 0) - this requires changes to both firmware and software.

2. Add extra markers like the mentioned value 102 (0x66). There is for example a key code 101 (0x65) - Keyboard Application - I don't think there are any usage cases for this key to be used with Flirc. Using this value as a key code could send a key from Customer usage table with code 0x100 + modifier value. There are also F13-F24 keys that, at least on Windows are not usable anyway, so their codes could also be used as more markers to bump the value higher. To sum it up:

- For key code 0x66, send modifier value as a key code from Customer usage table,

- For key code 0x65, send modifier value + 0x100 (0x100 to 0x1FF range) as a key code from Customer usage table,

- For key code 0x73 (F24), send modifier value + 0x200 (0x200 to 0x2FF range) as key code from Customer usage table.

With values from above proposition you would be able to record AC Back button using:

flirc_util record_api 36 115

It all depends on whether or not Jason can/want to implement this. This also only require a change to the firmware. No software changes would be required.

Hello, I have just bought myself a Flirc to use with my Amazon FireTv and have been reading this thread with much intrest.

I have the following setup , Flirc Version 1.3.0 with FW3.3 which I think is the latest version, and a Harmony touch remote.

I have used the Flirc app to setup or recorded the 11 keys  on the Harmony remote, I have then connected the remote to the my Marmony app

and selected the Flirc device model XMBC, and synced the information to my remote.

I have then added the Flirc to the Amazon FireTV and am now abe to move through the menus and select diffrent menus using the up down, left right buttons

I can also select a programe to watch and it will start to play etc, I can also fastforward and rewind the filme

BUT where I have problems is trying to stop or exit out of a film and get back to the main Amazon FireTV menu on the amazon remote, so the button "Home" or the "Return" button is not working

even though I set theses buttons using the Flirc app, I have even downloaded another useres config file for Amazon FireTV and this has the same problem.

So im at a loss how I can get the Harmony touch remote to fully work, and if the problem lies with the Flirc config or the profile in myharmony

I would be greatfull of any help and advice or a point in the right direction.

Hello ImCoKeMaN

Thanks for your kind reply and also on a christmas day and pointing me in the right direction.

I have now redone the Flirc and can now confirm that it is working how it should, I can now return out of a film and get back to the menu system

I have also XMBC sideloaded on the FireTV and this also works as well with the Harmony touch remote.

Once again thanks and a Merry Christmas.

Hello,

I have configured my Logitech Harmony and used the Device "Media Center PC"-> "FLIRC" ->"XBMC".

Then I have assigned the keys to the activity.

After configuring the Harmony I started the FLIRC-Tool (1.30) and selected Controllers -> "Fire TV".

I have assigned all keys and tried it with my Fire TV.

Everything works except the return button. The button works, but has a different behaviour. If I press the return button on my Fire TV remote it will go one step back to the previous menu.

If I press the return button on my Harmony (assigned to the Exit button), then XBMC/Kodi will jump to the Main Menu.

I guess I have to change the FLIRC configuration, but how do I do this?

Edited by PBaas

Unfortunately, with current Flirc possibilities, you can't access keys from HID Customer usage table with codes above 0xFF. Each recorded button takes 6 bytes: 4 bytes for IR code hash and 2 bytes for the HID code. To use codes from Customer usage tables the second byte must have value of 102 (decimal) so you only have a single byte for key code. To address 0x224 you would need 2 bits extra.

I think there are 2 possible ways (both require changes to firmware and software):

1. Extend structure from 6 to 7 bytes to allow bigger code space - this unfortunately would mean that the capacity would drop (from current 169 to about 144 from a quick calculation) but I think it would be a waste of space because there are not so many usage cases for those codes (so in most cases the additional byte would always be 0) - this requires changes to both firmware and software.

2. Add extra markers like the mentioned value 102 (0x66). There is for example a key code 101 (0x65) - Keyboard Application - I don't think there are any usage cases for this key to be used with Flirc. Using this value as a key code could send a key from Customer usage table with code 0x100 + modifier value. There are also F13-F24 keys that, at least on Windows are not usable anyway, so their codes could also be used as more markers to bump the value higher. To sum it up:

- For key code 0x66, send modifier value as a key code from Customer usage table,

- For key code 0x65, send modifier value + 0x100 (0x100 to 0x1FF range) as a key code from Customer usage table,

- For key code 0x73 (F24), send modifier value + 0x200 (0x200 to 0x2FF range) as key code from Customer usage table.

With values from above proposition you would be able to record AC Back button using:

flirc_util record_api 36 115

It all depends on whether or not Jason can/want to implement this. This also only require a change to the firmware. No software changes would be required.

Have we confirmed that it actually is the browser back button that is the missing key? Looks like Chris just threw it out there and no one really confirmed it.

I'm willing to do it, in fact I'll try this right now, but would love a bit of reassurance.

XBMC/Kodi sees the key differently on different OSes. Kodi for Android interprets "the key" as "backspace", but it's not actually backspace, according to Koying. When I pair a Fire TV bluetooth remote up to a desktop computer it shows the key as "browser_back". I've been hunting around to see if I can find a USB keyboard that actually has browser buttons on it in order to test this with the Fire TV.

Hi,

I am new to this forum and read through the topic, but it seems that my question has not been addressed yet. Sorry if I have overlooked it.

I got everything setup and running. The only question I am having is:Is there a way to get the Harmony one to reboot the AFTV?

I tried setting up a custom sequence but no luck there.

Thanks

Paul

Hi,

I am new to this forum and read through the topic, but it seems that my question has not been addressed yet. Sorry if I have overlooked it.

I got everything setup and running. The only question I am having is:Is there a way to get the Harmony one to reboot the AFTV?

I tried setting up a custom sequence but no luck there.

Thanks

Paul

if there is a keyboard combination that does this, it is possible, otherwise no one has figure out what that combination is yet. You can hook up a keyboard and try and figure it out and then I can create a shortcut in the firetv menu of the flirc gui.

I tried sending these keys with a new firmware image, and it's not working. Also not sure if browser back is in fact the 0x224 yet.

Does the AC Back work on Windows or Linux in a browser? I don't know if this require some extra xorg configuration for those buttons to work properly under Linux.