Flirc Forums

Using Flirc with Amazon fireTV

tonyski

Looking through pages and pages of fantastic documentation and i basically had the same issue with my harmony 700 remote, no response no matter what setting i selected. It turned out to be that I had debugging turned ON for the USB device on the AFTV. That pretty much disables the USB port on your AFTV device. 

this golden nugget of advice right there literally kept me from returning the flirc and giving up on the issue altogether. nothing i tried seemed to work, with no response whatsoever from the AFTV (2) until i happened to stumble upon this, so thank you very kindly for helping a desperate soul out ;) also, i think the flirc-team would be well-advised in adding this piece of vital information to their knowledge-base, lest they face themselves with crowds of customers returning their devices for non-functionality with the AFTV (2).

that aside: if anybody could tell me wether it's possible to do long-press commands at all and if so, how to, i would be most grateful for that as well.

cheers,

bp

• 2 months later...

All of a sudden the Flirc connected to my FireTV quit responding to "Home" key presses on both of my IR remotes (a Harmony 650 and a Sony RM-VLZ620 ), . I haven't messed with anything in over a year, so I can't imagine what would have all of a sudden make this start happening. I googled the problem and see there are a lot issues with the Home key, but I never had any until now and don't know what to try to fix it? Any suggestions?

Note: I just now checked and there was a FireTV update installed two days ago, so it seems that's the cause!

Edited by Herman Trivilino

All of a sudden the Flirc connected to my FireTV quit responding to "Home" key presses on both of my IR remotes (a Harmony 650 and a Sony RM-VLZ620 ), . I haven't messed with anything in over a year, so I can't imagine what would have all of a sudden make this start happening. I googled the problem and see there are a lot issues with the Home key, but I never had any until now and don't know what to try to fix it? Any suggestions?

Note: I just now checked and there was a FireTV update installed two days ago, so it seems that's the cause!

Mines gone the same way after the update. It looks like Amazon have changed the home key mapping so they can apps like Firestarter from detecting home key presses.

I'm going to plug a usb keyboard in and try to find where it's moved to.

Let me know, please upgrade to 3.8, that's the latest.

Yep that sorted it :D great work, I'd have been a bit stumed otherwise as I just hammered every key on my keyboard and still couldn't find where home had moved to (I'm assuming it's now a media key or other non-standard key that's missing from my keyboard).

Amazon disabled the "F12" keyboard key for Home in the Fire TV 5.2.1.0 update.

The Home key is now the 3 button combination "Left Windows Logo + Left ALT + ENTER".

Everyone, please contact Amazon Fire TV tech support and ask them to restore the F12 keyboard key for Home.

Edited by Mr_Jake
  • Like 1

Evening Jason, sorry, I did mean to mention I had done that after reading your response to another question about Harmony remotes.

It appears the Harmony device profile I am using (FLIRC >  Fire TV) has duplicate keys for "Down" and "Info" (From viewing the profile in MyHarmony), there is another profile (FLIRC > XBMC) that has the correct "Info" key but that doesn't have the Home button in there for Fire TV.

I could add both devices to my activity and choose the relevant buttons from both device profiles but that isn't ideal.

Could I also please ask, how many post do I need to make before I am allowed to view the attachments in the first post of this thread?

I'm going to get in touch with amazon, give me a day, I'll issue an update.

I've installed firmware 3.8, have Flirc v1.4.4 and Windows 7. When I try to record the "home" button my browser launches, but the GUI moves on to the next key, so it seems all might be good. But when I test by pressing the home key on my IR remote it makes the FireTV bring up the "Your Apps Menu". Huhh?

I would go to file->clear configuration and start over. Let me know if that helps. 

Yes, certain buttons will register with your main OS after recording, that's typical if you're still holding the button after recording.

I've installed firmware 3.8, have Flirc v1.4.4 and Windows 7. When I try to record the "home" button my browser launches, but the GUI moves on to the next key, so it seems all might be good. But when I test by pressing the home key on my IR remote it makes the FireTV bring up the "Your Apps Menu". Huhh?

I can attach my backed up config file that seems to work ok here if it helps (Will be later today)?

Sorry Jason, I think we are getting our wires crossed here. The post of mine you quoted was from February and I managed to work my way round that problem. 

I was replying to Herman to see if he wanted to try my backup file that after updating to the latest firmware appears to work fine (It also works within TWRP, my Fire TV 2 is rooted). 

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize if this has been asked before, but i have been searching and can not find a concrete answer. With the latest FireTv update, as mentioned above, L Windows key + L Alt. + Enter(Return) is the new home, I verified myself by wireless keyboard. My question is about the long press of home to bring up the hidden menu. Using my wireless keyboard, i am able to long press the key combination and bring it up no problem, but with my harmony remote, i have tried everything to make a long press of the home key work with no solution. Is this something Flirc can help assist or is this a limitation of my harmony remote? It is literally the only key/button that doesn't work correctly for me (Tho normal home works great now). Any advice, information or leads would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I was replying to Herman to see if he wanted to try my backup file that after updating to the latest firmware appears to work fine (It also works within TWRP, my Fire TV 2 is rooted). 

At this point I'll try anything. The "home" key brings up the "My Apps" menu. I finally got the "left" key to work by deleting it and re-learning it. That's huge for me. 

I'm using Flircv1.4.4 with firmware v3.8 on a Windows 7 laptop.

I'm wondering if I should try different IR codes. I can't imagine, though, how that could help?

Edited by Herman Trivilino
update

At this point I'll try anything. The "home" key brings up the "My Apps" menu. I finally got the "left" key to work by deleting it and re-learning it. That's huge for me. 

I'm using Flircv1.4.4 with firmware v3.8 on a Windows 7 laptop.

I'm wondering if I should try different IR codes. I can't imagine, though, how that could help?

Uploaded for you to try.

FLIRC USB Dongle (Amazon Fire TV 2).fcfg

Hello!
I use a Harmony 950 with FLIRC and Fire TV2.
In the Harmony Software i added a "FLIRC -> Fire TV" Device, which works great.

The Home-Button also works great, but i have the following Problem:
When i HOLD the Home-Button on the original Remote, there comes an overlay, where i can activate the Sleep-mode of the Fire-TV.
But when i hold the Home-Button with the Harmony, i cant reach the Sleep-mode, because the Harmony sends the home-button several times, when i hold the Home-Button.

Has anybody an idea how i can solve this issue?
Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem here. Holding the assigned "Home Button" of my Harmony does not work! I have found out, that pressing "Left Win-Key + Enter" on keyboard or via flirc is enough to be the "Home" button of the original FireTV remote. Left Alt in addition is not nessesary!

Edited by Brand10

Done already. I tried different interkey delays and / or harmony delays too. Interkey delay from 1 to 6 and / or harmony key delays from 0ms to 500ms. I tried to re-record the Home-Button, tried the built-in profile, tried to record "Left Win-Key + Enter" manually from full keyboard layout... All does not work.

Edited by Brand10