Flirc Forums

Using Flirc with Amazon fireTV

tonyski

Yes, I keep asking people to be a little patient. A flirc, firetv will be added to harmony in the next day or so. But even if you didn't have a harmony, it will work with any remote.

When you say it will be added to Harmony do you mean in the Harmony setup software or in the Flirc Setup software?

When you say it will be added to Harmony do you mean in the Harmony setup software or in the Flirc Setup software?

a Flirc FireTV profile will be added to the harmony database and a firmware image will be released that has these keys pre-pared.

• Like 1

a Flirc FireTV profile will be added to the harmony database and a firmware image will be released that has these keys pre-pared.

I see this Flirc FireTV profile has already been added in the Harmony Software as I just had a look and was able to set up a new device using it.

So this should stop the Harmony remote sending commands twice or do we need to wait for the Flirc Firmware update as well?

I see this Flirc FireTV profile has already been added in the Harmony Software as I just had a look and was able to set up a new device using it.

So this should stop the Harmony remote sending commands twice or do we need to wait for the Flirc Firmware update as well?

I have not announced it yet, because they have problems with the profile.

For example, the enter key is not mapped by default to the 'ok' or select button on the remote

Also, they don't have 'back' mapped to the 'back' harmony button either. It's going to cause a lot of confusion, you need to map these manually. Can you actually tell me if that was the case? Which remote do you have? 

Otherwise, yes, it will solve these problems. I have my own vendor protocol tuned for flirc.

So out of curiosity, do these codes overlap?  Like would xbmc (Kodi) up = firetv up?  I can see benefits to storage space on the flirc to combine them, but also benefits to having 100% unique codes if there were multiple flircs in the same house and only having the one you want to respond.  they are pretty sensitive =)

Edited by ImCoKeMaN

The new Flirc FireTV Harmony Profile does still NOT solve the issue of the Harmony sending multiple commands!

The back button is fine now but the Direction up, down etc. are all sending multiple commands on occasion now!

Still more work to be done on this I think...

Please save your configuration, and post it here.

The new Flirc FireTV Harmony Profile does still NOT solve the issue of the Harmony sending multiple commands!

The back button is fine now but the Direction up, down etc. are all sending multiple commands on occasion now!

Still more work to be done on this I think...

Nevermind, I reproduced it. I'll try to tell logitech, but it's a harmony setting. Follow this: https://flirc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203390449

Leave interkey delay at 5.

I'm having the issue where pressing the back button generates a double-press.

All the other buttons seem to work fine on my Harmony 700.

Any fix for this?

Similar issue here with three different Sony VL Series remotes. Except I get more than a double-press. This has got to be something associated with the way the Fire TV is handling the bit stream generated by the Flirc IR receiver.

Similar issue here with three different Sony VL Series remotes. Except I get more than a double-press. This has got to be something associated with the way the Fire TV is handling the bit stream generated by the Flirc IR receiver.

It is. For the harmony guys, I will put together some formal documentation shortly.

But yes, it's firetv.

Every operating system has a 'key repeat' and firetv is set way to short. While it appears as 'double presses' it is actually the start of a stream of characters. 

Think regular computer, you press a keyboard key and hold, and after a set time, the stream starts.

The stream is starting on the firetv, and you only get the first key of the stream, and the original key, making you think it's two presses. 

I sent them a note, I don't think I can fix this in my device.

One thing you can try is enabling the noise filter, which waits for multiple button hits before sending the command.

For the harmony, delete, re-add firetv, and try again. They updated their settings recently.

It is. For the harmony guys, I will put together some formal documentation shortly.

But yes, it's firetv.

Every operating system has a 'key repeat' and firetv is set way to short. While it appears as 'double presses' it is actually the start of a stream of characters. 

Think regular computer, you press a keyboard key and hold, and after a set time, the stream starts.

The stream is starting on the firetv, and you only get the first key of the stream, and the original key, making you think it's two presses. 

I sent them a note, I don't think I can fix this in my device.

One thing you can try is enabling the noise filter, which waits for multiple button hits before sending the command.

For the harmony, delete, re-add firetv, and try again. They updated their settings recently.

I was able to set up my other Amazon Fire TV with the Harmony Touch just fine.

All the keys work perfectly on that setup.  I added the Flirc device in the Harmony software.

For some reason I can't get my Harmony 700 and the Fire TV to work together properly using the same setup.

Now, I get double-press on the directional buttons.

When I add a random Samsung DVD player everything works except for the double-press on the back button.

Every operating system has a 'key repeat' and firetv is set way to short. 

While it appears as 'double presses' it is actually the start of a stream of characters. 

It's multiple "presses". Using the FireTV stick to send RF commands directly to the FireTV, clicks are sometimes heard. It occurs with the press of any button, but usually it's only after the button has been pressed once. Thereafter each press in succession generates a single click.

When I press the return key on my IR remote to send the Return command to the Flirc I usually hear multiple clicks in very rapid succession from just one press of the key, but not on the first press. Sometimes there's a slight pause between two of those clicks. Once the FireTV has been sent all the way back to the home menu, each successive press of the Return key generates a different number of clicks in rapid succession, usually too fast to count, but it seems like maybe four or five is the maximum.

I just ordered a Harmony 650. Is this a fix that applies to this remote, or is it a fix that applies to the Harmony Home and Hub that communicate via RF with the FireTV.

I just wanted to share some experience with Flirc since I attached to my fireTV.

1. I had a lot of problems after flashing the device to the v3.5. For example, the not detected key every two presses. Or taking long to detect them and then suddenly execute all the buttons extremely quickly.

However, I got rid of them with the following settings:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Flirc>flirc_util.exe settings

flirc_util version v1.3.4 [v1.3.4+]
  Firmware: v3.5 [77E94DBB]

Settings:
  sleep detection:  Disabled
  noise canceler:   Disabled
  inter-key delay:  3
  seq. modifiers:   Disabled
  state:            0
  builtin profiles: Disable

2. I was playing with my riitek i13 that is an IR remote control with RF keyboard, and I realized that the following keys are mapped as follows:
- Home button -> ZoomOut for the browser, multimedia key
- Microphone -> ZoomIn for the browser

I do not know if that is specific of my configuration, because I have a Xposed Module and a rooted fireTV, but my feeling is that it is common configuration. If somebody could confirm it that would be great.

Now I am just missing the continuous key press, as if I keep the key pressed it should repeat the key and I don't have to press it multiple times. 
I am sure that by changing the settings I disabled that by mistake, but I couldn't find any guide about what are the settings for.

Questions:
-------------
a. Is there any guide that explains what do the different settings do?
b. Can you confirm that the ZoomIn / ZoomOut trigger these functionalities?

Thanks a lot for this piece of hardware! as now I can even set to standby my fireTV, something that I couldn't do before with the fireTV remote, and I can control my volume and assign different keys to my setup.

[EDIT] Btw, it is the noise canceler the one that makes the detection of only one every two presses.
Edited by fgarcor

I just wanted to share some experience with Flirc since I attached to my fireTV.

1. I had a lot of problems after flashing the device to the v3.5. For example, the not detected key every two presses. Or taking long to detect them and then suddenly execute all the buttons extremely quickly.

However, I got rid of them with the following settings:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Flirc>flirc_util.exe settings

flirc_util version v1.3.4 [v1.3.4+]
  Firmware: v3.5 [77E94DBB]

Settings:
  sleep detection:  Disabled
  noise canceler:   Disabled
  inter-key delay:  3
  seq. modifiers:   Disabled
  state:            0
  builtin profiles: Disable

2. I was playing with my riitek i13 that is an IR remote control with RF keyboard, and I realized that the following keys are mapped as follows:
- Home button -> ZoomOut for the browser, multimedia key
- Microphone -> ZoomIn for the browser

I do not know if that is specific of my configuration, because I have a Xposed Module and a rooted fireTV, but my feeling is that it is common configuration. If somebody could confirm it that would be great.

Now I am just missing the continuous key press, as if I keep the key pressed it should repeat the key and I don't have to press it multiple times. 
I am sure that by changing the settings I disabled that by mistake, but I couldn't find any guide about what are the settings for.

Questions:
-------------
a. Is there any guide that explains what do the different settings do?
b. Can you confirm that the ZoomIn / ZoomOut trigger these functionalities?

Thanks a lot for this piece of hardware! as now I can even set to standby my fireTV, something that I couldn't do before with the fireTV remote, and I can control my volume and assign different keys to my setup.

[EDIT] Btw, it is the noise canceler the one that makes the detection of only one every two presses.

You should change your interkey_delay settings in the gui to 5 or 6, that should help the repeat 

I'm not sure what you mean zoomin/zoomout? You referring to Kodi?

How are you doing your standby? Did you map a specific key?