Flirc Forums

Double binding keys

wbrinkman

Hi there!

With long keypresses now added to the firmware, would it be an idea to be able to map these long keypresses to different keys in the Flirc GUI? Currently we can only bind one key to a button.

Might be a bit tricky to distinguish between a repeating signals and single/rapid succession signals, but then some remote controls would become much more useful, especially the minimalistic zappers such as an Apple Remote:

post-314-0-61095000-1327504028.png

post-314-0-61095000-1327504028_thumb.png

• Like 1

That is a nice idea. I think at the moment long presses are currently longer presses of the same key.

Though i'm not sure how feasible it would be to implement as it would put great emphasis on FLIRC telling the differnece between length of presses but with a larger difference in end result so may cause frustration if FLIRC gets it wrong slightly.

Still i think it is a good idea

P.s. welcome to the forums!

• 1 month later...

I do think a press of the select button being mapped to one thing (like say the enter key) and a press-and-hold being mapped to a different key (like say the C key for an XBMC context menu) is a fantastic idea. Very intuitive if you're used to touchscreen interfaces, and a good way to cram more functionality onto a remote with only 7 buttons. Obviously I have no idea what it would take to implement. Similar functionality on the direction buttons might be tricky, because as Chris! points out, the intended effect of the press-and-hold in a lot of situations involving mapping of arrow keys is specifically intended to keep sending the same key.

Maybe if there were an option to record a secondary key for each button? One key for press, one key for hold. If the second one isn't set, it could default to keep pressing the key mapped to the first button press. If it stayed like that, people wouldn't even have to reconfigure their Flirc when the feature is introduced. Then there could be a single button added to the GUI for 'hold', and you click hold first and then second key you're trying to map, then press your remote button, and flirc gives that button the secondary function of pressing the second key instead of the first one? Form the command line, something life 'flirc record_hold C' and press select on the remote? Then you could do the same with the arrow buttons if you ant something like wbrinkman describes, and if you elect not to, flirc recognizes that there's no second function of your arrow button and only continues to send the original key when you hold the button?

Again, I don't have any clue how hard this would be to implement or if my own comments are even helpful, but I agree it's a great idea.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This was how I though that long presses would work. I'd love to be able to map 'menu' to back in XBMC while mapping a long press of 'menu' to the context menu, and a long press od the play button to be stop, etc.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm really interested in this as well.

I've got a little atv2 running with XBMC and it's really working nicely with the Apple Remote.

I've got several other devices with XBMC running on them which all work better as the atv2 but the remotes

just suck as hell in my point of view.

Would be great if you could try to implement this functioniality to release the full potential fo the apple remote with Flirc :)

Greetings Marc

• 2 months later...

i know red a lot of threads and managed it to install the beta firmeware, i am also able to use every setting. can someone give me something like a little guide how to program for example on the apple remote the button up for menü und long-hit-button up for volume up. i have problems to use the sensibility right with the buttons --.......sry for being not so professional in using the tool :) kind regards

• 2 months later...

+1 for me. I can get along with the silver Apple remote since it has 7 buttons (map center to 'c' and pause/play to 'p'), but that darned 6 button white remote (of which I have 5) I can't see how to use. I need a select/play for the center, and a Back for the menu button. I need all the arrows. Nothing to map the context menu to :-(

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

+1 and hi to all.

I'm just starting with flirc using openelec (xbmc) on RaspberryPi (Rev. 2).

I've bought it bundled with an silver ATV(2/3)-remote. I've also used xbmc on an atv 2, so i have some experience using the remote.

I like the sleek design paired with the essential control of xbmc.

For detailed control of xbmc, i'm using constellation on the ipad.

So i'm looking forward for the implementation of the "long-press-feature" to get the full (similar) functionality for the atv-remote.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...