Flirc Forums

Flirc suddenly sending many keypresses on each button push

The new firmware didn't help.  Started doing in the afternoon today as well.  Missed the start of the Formula 1 race because of it as well.  I think I have a defective unit.  What kind of warranty is one these things?

Loose, I have something formal in the terms of service on the site, but it really doesn't matter. Just shoot me an email and I'll get you a new one. support at flirc.tv

Hey guys,

Just wanted to add my two cents. I have the same problem that's been listed here multiple times at this point. Sometimes my FLIRC unit seems to work fine with PHT, other times it's virtually unusable because of many, many errant key presses (and subsequent uncontrollable scrolling). This has been an on and off issue, and until I saw this forum I had always assumed it was related to firmware or PHT updates. 

Based on aggregating the recommendations here, I used a bit of black electrical tape, once around the USB receiver (leaving the front exposed). This seemed to mitigate the problem to some degree. I also reprogrammed it with my Harmony from scratch and then ran 'flirc_util settings'. Everything looks normal there. I have each key programmed in exactly twice to account for the issue with Harmony remotes.

I have all CFLs installed in my apartment, so the IR output should be minimal. The Asus NUC I use is running very cool, and the FLIRC is cool to the touch. I don't think either are putting off enough IR to fool the receiver. Just to double check the lighting I turned everything off, and the problem persists. 

One thought I had is that my plasma TV puts off quite a bit of heat, but I don't have an extra monitor to test this while the TV's off. Can anyone replicate the issue with a cooler running LCD TV?

It's usable now, but it still does get caught scrolling occasionally, though not for as long as it did before. A permanent and complete solution would be excellent.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to add my two cents. I have the same problem that's been listed here multiple times at this point. Sometimes my FLIRC unit seems to work fine with PHT, other times it's virtually unusable because of many, many errant key presses (and subsequent uncontrollable scrolling). This has been an on and off issue, and until I saw this forum I had always assumed it was related to firmware or PHT updates. 

Based on aggregating the recommendations here, I used a bit of black electrical tape, once around the USB receiver (leaving the front exposed). This seemed to mitigate the problem to some degree. I also reprogrammed it with my Harmony from scratch and then ran 'flirc_util settings'. Everything looks normal there. I have each key programmed in exactly twice to account for the issue with Harmony remotes.

I have all CFLs installed in my apartment, so the IR output should be minimal. The Asus NUC I use is running very cool, and the FLIRC is cool to the touch. I don't think either are putting off enough IR to fool the receiver. Just to double check the lighting I turned everything off, and the problem persists. 

One thought I had is that my plasma TV puts off quite a bit of heat, but I don't have an extra monitor to test this while the TV's off. Can anyone replicate the issue with a cooler running LCD TV?

It's usable now, but it still does get caught scrolling occasionally, though not for as long as it did before. A permanent and complete solution would be excellent.

I also have a plasma so that could be contributing.  What I don't understand at all is that nothing has changed in my house.  It worked fine for months but now it's having this issue.  Not even a lightbulb change.  (which mine are also all CFL)