Flirc Forums

Flirc Continues Endless Keypresses on Harmony 650

AudioBeast

Hello everyone,

First let me say how excited I was to find this site. I have been searching for a solution to use a remote for my HTPC and this seemed perfect. This is a great device WHEN it works correctly.  After having issues upgrading the firmware and I finally got the remote everything seemed smooth sailing. After two days Flirc goes CRAZY on XBMC and send repeated key presses that can only be remedied by unplugging the USB and plugging it back in. I read through the forums and messed with the advanced settings according to suggestions given by Jason. I tried different Inter-Key Delays with a combination of checking the Noise Canceler option. After going back and forth and changing options I'll finally get it to work. A day goes by and it goes crazy again and back to playing with the settings. Please tell me there's a solution for this. I checked the remote and it is NOT sending multiple IR signals. I checked using my camera phone. This is a GREAT product but it has way too many bugs to go into distribution. I'm sad to say if I can't get this to work I'm going to have to issue an RMA :(

Specs:

- Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

- Flirc w/ Firmware 2.4

- Harmony 650 remote

Thanks!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Head to the GUI, and hit force firmware upgrade again. When it's upgrading, can you tell me the firmware version that is shown at the bottom? The bootloader has a different version.

When the key's get stuck, is it after you pressed something, or does it do it on it's own?

Thanks for the response Jason. I did as you asked and the firmware was already 2.4 but I did it again and it still reads Firmware 2.4. The keys get stuck after I push one of the buttons on the remote. I don't think it's the remote because it doesn't light up when checking it through my phones camera.

Sorry, I was unable to take a picture last night, but I can once I get home if you still need it. My Flirc is connected via a USB extension cord then back to a USB 3.0 slot on my Asus Z87I-Deluxe mobo. The Flirc itself is not in a closed cabinet but is completely exposed about 6-7 feet from my couch.

• 3 weeks later...

@AudioBeast, what type of TV do you have?  I have a Samsung 52B750, which I have discovered has IR interference.  I have two Flircs that have the same issue after a couple of minutes of using the Flircs start doing endless key presses, and the only thing I can do is unplug the Flirc to get it to stop.  I have plugged the same Flirc into a HTPC that is attached to a Samsung 46B8500 and the problem doesn't occur.  With the 52B750 I have plugged the Flirc into a Openelec machine(Acer AspireRevo AR1600-U910H) and a Raspberry pi using Raspbmc and both have the same issue connected to this TV.  I will note, I have not discovered a solution with the device plugged into the 52B750.

Edited by amcfarla

I'm afraid I'm now suffering from the endless repeat problem too. I have a Harmony 785 remote and Flirc with bootloader v2.0 and firmware 2.5. The Flirc is connected directly to front USB port of Intel NUC (model D54250WYKH). Everything worked fine with an old laptop and old Flirc firmware, but now I'm getting frequently into endless repeat loop until I unplug the flirc. Sometimes it recovers if I hammer the keys on the remote, but then goes haywire again. Doesn't seem to matter if it's shaded by the cabinet or not.

--Ere

I'm afraid I'm now suffering from the endless repeat problem too. I have a Harmony 785 remote and Flirc with bootloader v2.0 and firmware 2.5. The Flirc is connected directly to front USB port of Intel NUC (model D54250WYKH). Everything worked fine with an old laptop and old Flirc firmware, but now I'm getting frequently into endless repeat loop until I unplug the flirc. Sometimes it recovers if I hammer the keys on the remote, but then goes haywire again. Doesn't seem to matter if it's shaded by the cabinet or not.

--Ere

Before you change anything, can you send me your configuration? I've got to get to the bottom of this.

Before you change anything, can you send me your configuration? I've got to get to the bottom of this.

--Ere

What type of TV are using with your HTPC? I have two flircs that do the endless keypresses that are hooked to a Samsung 52B750, but neither of the flircs have the problem on a Panasonic 60VT60 or a Samung 46B8500.  I would try this, when the endless keypresses happen, grab a blanket large enough to cover the screen of the TV and see if they stop.  If the blanket resolves the issue then the problem is IR interference from the screen.  The only suggestion I can think of is to cover the flirc completely with masking tape (scotch tape didn't work for me).

Edited by amcfarla

What type of TV are using with your HTPC? I have two flircs that do the endless keypresses that are hooked to a Samsung 52B750, but neither of the flircs have the problem on a Panasonic 60VT60 or a Samung 46B8500.  I would try this, when the endless keypresses happen, grab a blanket large enough to cover the screen of the TV and see if they stop.  If the blanket resolves the issue then the problem is IR interference from the screen.  The only suggestion I can think of is to cover the flirc completely with masking tape (scotch tape didn't work for me).

Shouldn't have to do that. If you are experiencing that, is it only after you are pressing buttons with your remote that you get this endless repeat?

Shouldn't have to do that. If you are experiencing that, is it only after you are pressing buttons with your remote that you get this endless repeat?

But I am experiencing the same thing, on only one TV in my house, so I don't think it is the Flirc that is the problem.  This TV has also had problems with directv receivers with the remote not working, and solution was to cover the IR receiver on the directv with tape.

But I am experiencing the same thing, on only one TV in my house, so I don't think it is the Flirc that is the problem.  This TV has also had problems with directv receivers with the remote not working, and solution was to cover the IR receiver on the directv with tape.

Can you describe the behavior when the flirc gets stuck? Does it do it on it's own, or after pressing a button? When it does it, is it random presses? Or continuation of the last key? 

This is probably different from what other people are seeing.

I released an update that may address what people are seeing, firmware v2.6, please give that a shot and let me know. Again, if someone can volunteer to help in troubleshooting this a bit more realtime, I'd be very grateful and can send you a raspberry pi and free flirc on the house once this gets solved.

I'll test the new firmware first, but if I still have trouble, what configuration information would you need? I can also volunteer for realtime troubleshooting if need be. Thanks for your effort!

--Ere

I have Sony KDL-40W4500. And I didn't have trouble with the old firmware (although it was also another machine as the HTPC). And I don't experience any spontaneous keypresses, only sort of "stuck on repeat" behavior.

--Ere

I'll test the new firmware first, but if I still have trouble, what configuration information would you need? I can also volunteer for realtime troubleshooting if need be. Thanks for your effort!

--Ere

flie->saveconfiguration  

That's it.

--Ere

As far as realtime troubleshooting, we can get on gchat and iterate over firmware attempts (if this is pretty repeatable) 

I've only had a chance to play with the new firmware for a short while, but so far it looks promising. I couldn't reproduce the problem at least yet, but it has been intermittent so I'll need to test some more. So far so good in any case. :)

--Ere

Thanks so much for the followup, keep me posted. I'll do whatever it takes to get rid of this problem.