Flirc Forums

GUI V1.2.2 + FW V2.3 -> Button already exists

dhirennaidoo

Hi guys

I have tried searching for anyone experiencing this problem, but it seems I am alone on this (for current FW, at least)

All was fine until I had the bright idea of upgrading my Flirc (delivered with FW V1.0 about a year and a half ago).

I downloaded the lateset GUI, installed, and forced a FW upgrade. All seemed to go well, and the GUI now connects and reports a V2.3 Flirc but whenever I try to program a button from my Harmony 300 (loaded with the Flirc XBMC profile) I just get a "Button already exists" message. Before any button is pressed on the remote! I tried downloading someone elses Harmony fcfg file and using that, but no luck.

I cannot find an older FW .bin file to load back on to the Flirc.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Dhiren

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Jason,

I just got my first flirc, but I am getting the error in the OP.  I am running Mac OS X 10.9.2, GUI v1.2.2, and Firmware v2.3.  I am using the GUI in "Full Keyboard" mode, and am programming for MythTV.  I have tried disabling 'built-in profiles' with no luck.  I have tried "Force FW Upgrade", "Clear Configuration", and the "erase" button.  Nothing helped.

Order of events:

1. Programmed my URC-8820N as a true MCE remote.
  2. Programmed flirc and everything seemed OK, but flirc would only respond to every other button press.
  3. Tried reprogramming the button press in case the remote button was alternating codes, with no success.
  4. Programmed my URC-8820N as a Xbox DVD remote.
  5. Tried programming flirc, but got "Button already exists" message.
  6. Tried everything listed above with no success.

-Tom

Update:  Last night, I decided to take my universal remote out of the loop.  I dug out my old Xbox remote, but had the same problems.  I even opened up a second flirc with the same result.  I then decided to try my Roku remote.  Everything seemed to work with the Roku remote and my universal remote mimicking the Roku remote.  It appears that flirc has some incompatibilities with certain IR protocols.  flirc could not tell the difference between some of the Xbox directional buttons.  The Xbox uses the RCA protocol while the Roku uses the NEC1 protocol.  I also had problem with the MCE protocol.

Update 2:  A little search of the forums confirms that both the Xbox and MCE remotes do not play nice with flirc.  No worries, I can tell my JP1 remote to mimic a different remote entirely.  I am off to search for a well supported remote/protocol.

-Tom

Edited by two.bits.11

Update:  Last night, I decided to take my universal remote out of the loop.  I dug out my old Xbox remote, but had the same problems.  I even opened up a second flirc with the same result.  I then decided to try my Roku remote.  Everything seemed to work with the Roku remote and my universal remote mimicking the Roku remote.  It appears that flirc has some incompatibilities with certain IR protocols.  flirc could not tell the difference between some of the Xbox directional buttons.  The Xbox uses the RCA protocol while the Roku uses the NEC1 protocol.  I also had problem with the MCE protocol.

Update 2:  A little search of the forums confirms that both the Xbox and MCE remotes do not play nice with flirc.  No worries, I can tell my JP1 remote to mimic a different remote entirely.  I am off to search for a well supported remote/protocol.

-Tom

Yes, you found out before I was able to get back to you. They use non-standard frequencies and it messes with flirc a bit. I have it on my todo to fix this. 

Try samsung or panasonic profiles. Those work great.

• 1 month later...

I receive the "button already exists" error. Erasing the button does nothing. So i try to "disable 'built-in profiles'" but I un-check the box, close it, then open it, and it is checked again. Seems to be not way to disable it. Flirc v.1.2.4 and latest firmware (can't see the number because it is cut off in the GUI, but I just upgraded it before monogramming). I'm using Windows 7 and one of those Visio QWERTY remotes. 99% works perfect! I just can't get mute button to be "mute". I have no problem assigning it to another button.  

EDIT:

​After a bunch of trial and error, I think the problem again is that the Flirc can't tell the difference between a few frequencies. It seems as if I have at least four buttons on my remote that the Flirc thinks are the same? But I also have many random mess-ups where as I program some keys, others stop, but then when I go back and redo the ones that stopped, the others still work. There must be an order where it will take, and one that it will not? 

Please take this ONLY as constructive criticism as I do love this invention and it seems to work very well when configuring a basic remote. My old Tivo remotes worked perfect but did not give me the qwerty feature I need now. 

Edited by tommymsw

Upon more testing, I notice that if 2 buttons are programmed the same key, you have to delete both in order to change one. For example, my remote shows both "mute" and the "i" key as i. I wanted "mute" to show M. So "erase" and pressing "mute" said "erased" but then when I tried to reassign "mute" it said "button already exists" no way to erase it. However, if I erase "mute" and the "i" key and then reassign the "i" key with "i" and then erase the "mute" key once again for a second time, I can then reassign the "mute" button to "m". "Erase" does not seem to work for a button if there is another button programmed with the same key.

Also, I think I may have maxed the Flirc out with my remote that has 84 buttons. I know the Flirc is supposed to have 160, but that does not seem to be the case. A few of my buttons are double keys (control+f3) for example, but only like 5 of them, so I would still be below the 160 limit. But when I try to program the last 4 buttons, all seems to go well,but then the Flirc is magically blank. I mean the Flirc thinks it is programmed because the GUI will say "button already exists" if I try to program it, but when I put the Flirc into a PC to test it, NONE of the remote keys work. So somehow, it can see the button presses when in the GUI and know that slot is full, but when I try to use the Flirc in a PC with the last 4 buttons programmed, the entire thing no longer works. All buttons return no value.