Flirc Forums

'Already Recorded' when using full keyboard mode and Harmony 650

bossanova808

Just got my two flircs and having my first play tonight.

I am using a Harmony 650 with the device set to MCE keyboard. I want to do this as I want maximum flexibility to map as many things as possible.

XBMC install is Openelec 1.0.2

I am also using the full keyboard mode in flirc.

I am getting a lot of 'Button already exists' errors as I try and record my remote. A by a lot - I mean, basically every button I push.

Meaning I pretty much can't record anything.

(Of course I know I can use plex/boxee mode with the Harmony but this defeats the whole purpose of the flirc for me).

I have tried just the 'minimalist' profile to record the arrows and enter - can't even get through that.

It would seem the flirc needs to have finer grained distinction between the signals - Jason - any help??

+1

I purchased with the same intentions and got the same results, I started with programming the Flirc with my Harmony setup as a MCE Keyboard and ran into conflicts within the first four directional keys. I skipped those and moved on the the numerical characters (1-9) and ran into a conflict after getting to the number "4". I looked at the Plex Player in the Harmony settings put it is limited to the amount of keys to program and then I would have to edit the keymap.xml file in XBMC which I was hoping to avoid by purchasing the flirc.

I was able to get my harmony working by using the IR learn command and programming the remote from my original Microsoft MCE Remote and then using that to teach flirc my settings. However, I still have an issue with having to press every key on the remote twice to get the flirc and xbmc to do anything. A bit cumbersome. Hopefully someone has a better answer, as I had great hope for this product.

Thanks!

Just got my two flircs and having my first play tonight.

I am using a Harmony 650 with the device set to MCE keyboard. I want to do this as I want maximum flexibility to map as many things as possible.

XBMC install is Openelec 1.0.2

I am also using the full keyboard mode in flirc.

I am getting a lot of 'Button already exists' errors as I try and record my remote. A by a lot - I mean, basically every button I push.

Meaning I pretty much can't record anything.

(Of course I know I can use plex/boxee mode with the Harmony but this defeats the whole purpose of the flirc for me).

I have tried just the 'minimalist' profile to record the arrows and enter - can't even get through that.

It would seem the flirc needs to have finer grained distinction between the signals - Jason - any help??

This remote profile is a microsoft protocol that uses a non-standard frequency. Flirc can work with it, but it's not the best as I had to play a lot of tricks.

The flirc command line has an option called sensitivity. You can try lowering this number:

flirc sensitivity 2 (for example)

With each sensitivity, you need to re-learn your keys. I can't do this on the fly as it's a limitation of my algorithm.

Another circumvention would be to use a different remote profile. Most people assume to use media center remote profiles like; plex, boxee, apple tv, etc. When really, you can use any ol' remote. Try a samsung, or panasonic. I always recommend those as I've always been sure they don't do anything out of the norm like Microsoft.

+1

I purchased with the same intentions and got the same results, I started with programming the Flirc with my Harmony setup as a MCE Keyboard and ran into conflicts within the first four directional keys. I skipped those and moved on the the numerical characters (1-9) and ran into a conflict after getting to the number "4". I looked at the Plex Player in the Harmony settings put it is limited to the amount of keys to program and then I would have to edit the keymap.xml file in XBMC which I was hoping to avoid by purchasing the flirc.

I was able to get my harmony working by using the IR learn command and programming the remote from my original Microsoft MCE Remote and then using that to teach flirc my settings. However, I still have an issue with having to press every key on the remote twice to get the flirc and xbmc to do anything. A bit cumbersome. Hopefully someone has a better answer, as I had great hope for this product.

Thanks!

You shouldn't have to touch your xml file. This looks to be the same problem as above, but can be circumvented. Let me know how it goes.

I looked at the Plex Player in the Harmony settings put it is limited to the amount of keys to program and then I would have to edit the keymap.xml file in XBMC which I was hoping to avoid by purchasing the flirc.

Manufacturer: Plex

Model: Plex player

I have my remote set up like this and it has all the keys doing something (apart from the random colour one). You wouldn't have to edit the keymap file in xbmc as flirc appears as a keyboard no matter (not a plex remote). You are programming FLIRC in any remote you set, you would never have to touch the xbmc keymap file

The major problem with using the other profiles (MCE/Plex etc) is the limit on the number of keys and the hassle of not having easy to understand 1:1 mapping.

In particular, if you use a Plex/MCE remote mimic in your Harmony, and you want to program the 'extra' harmony buttons at the top of the harmony remotes, which you can have an unlimited number of for doing all sorts of fancy things - you have to map each of these to some MCE remote button first and then program that in remote.xml to do what you want .... and pretty soon your run out of available remote buttons.

Far easier just to do a direct 1:1 mapping - set your Harmony up as a keyboard, then look at the list of keyboard commands in XBMC. Program each letter in the flirc software to be that button on the remote. Then you know your remote is sending 'P' for play, for example. And you can easily then use ALL keys, with modifiers etc....lots of buttons to play with.

I don't have (or want) any keyboard attached.

I will give the sensitivity settings a try and see if that helps. (My RC6 receivers already do just fine with the remote set to MCE remote mode so I don't really need the flirc to help me with that).

Jason - good support for this would make your product a lot more flexible again and I am happy to help with any testing etc required. Can flirc be started from the command line with some debugging output then?

Far easier just to do a direct 1:1 mapping - set your Harmony up as a keyboard, then look at the list of keyboard commands in XBMC. Program each letter in the flirc software to be that button on the remote. Then you know your remote is sending 'P' for play, for example. And you can easily then use ALL keys, with modifiers etc....lots of buttons to play with.

Surely it is pointless to map 1:1. For example:

Using harmony software you map p to play button

Then you program FLIRC to recognise the play button as p

FLIRC wouldn't know the play button is p from the harmony software only because you've told it that it is p through FLIRC programming

so surely you could do this instead:

Ensure something is mapped to the play button

Then you program FLIRC to recognise the play button as p

Also remember

Manufacturer: Microsoft

Model: MCE

has very few buttons

Manufacturer: Plex

Model: Plex player (not player or just plex)

has over 60 buttons including 0-9 and F1 - F12 (probably enough to map all the buttons)

Manufacturer: Microsoft

Model: MCE Keyboard

has the most

hey guys, thats something i would want to confirm again,,,

like pseudo7 said, even if you create a MCE KEYBOARD device (not recommended)

in your Harmony setup, and used the Harmony software to map

keyboard keys to desired buttons on your remote,

FLIRC doesnt care!!

FLIRC will work only if you MAP'ed the buttons using its GUI!!

to setup your Harmony remote,

i suggest you follow this

Yep I have tried using the Plex approach and it's very easy - gives 60 buttons or so to program in all, covers ALL the Hamrony 650 hard keys and several pages of programmables. I am 90% there now, just need repeats to start working (needs firmware upgrade I think) and to do a little keymap.xml mapping to change some of the slightly off xbmc behaviours that vary illogically between music/video for example...and we should be gold.

Apparently you should be able to adjust the key repeat using the software:

http://images.harmonyremote.com/EasyZapper/Downloads/UserManual/Harmony650/enu/Harmony650_UserManual.pdf

About page 21 I think.

If you could describe how to do it I would really appreciate it so I can add it to a sticky as it seems a common issue. I however cannot adjust my key repeat as I have the cheaper one :)

• 7 years later...

On my Windows Media Center PC - there's a standby button on the remote that puts the computer into sleep / wake up.   Trying to use FLIRC (mapped my Logitech Remote to Plex / Plex Player) and selected Microsoft MCE on the FLIRC app.  

On the GUI, there's no button for "sleep/wake" that I can map to..